19th century 1896 1878 - 1896 1896 1878 1878 1896 1878 Prague's Reference Plan of the 1840s, MMP 1878. Fire at Gütling's House in Poříčí On Tuesday, 2 April 1878, in the afternoon, news spread around Prague about a terrible misfortune that had befallen Mr. Gütling and his house in the Pořící area. At the back of the yard, a room where alcohol was purified was located and was adjacent to a stockroom. After haft past 11 in the morning, an enormous blast shook the whole house to its foundations. At the same time, clouds of smoke were released and flames started blazing up high. It all happened very quickly. The roofs were torn down and everything that was later found under them was destroyed. The vaulting gave way and buried three workmen. The house itself was badly damaged, too. The fire was caused by an explosion of the steam boiler that was later found wedged deep in the rubble and torn asunder. 1878. Fire of Knight Lanna's Steam Sawmill. On 4 November, early in the morning, a fire flared up at Knight Lanna's steam sawmill on the corner of Sanytrová and Na Františku streets. The fire started in the midst of the flammable materials accumulated there. 1878. Trnka's Mill Fire On 9 October, half past 8 in the evening, a small flame shot up from the roof of Trnka's mill and grew into a mighty blazing column within a quarter of an hour. Firemen from all parts of town and from factories kept arriving at great speed at the site of the fire where thousands of people had gathered meanwhile. Trying to save the burning mill was out of the question because there was no access to it and the fire had already reached the ground floor. The firemen attempted to protect at least the neighbouring buildings but were successful only in part. At 9 o'clock, Mr. Dvořák's mill caught fire and half an hour later it was clear that the mills were lost. Around 10 o'clock Mr. Mrskoš's mill was ablaze, and shortly before 10 o'clock, one small spire on the water tower started burning. Thousands and thousands of spectators watched one spire after another tumble down with a thundering roar. The blazing frame of the main tower defied the flames for a long time but, shortly before 11 o'clock, finally collapsed as well. Fortunately, the beams did not land on Mr. Štípek's mill, otherwise it too would have been destroyed. 1896. Fire of Knight Schlöchta's Farmstead in Bubeneč. On 8 September 1896, after 10 o'clock at night, the inhabitants of Bubeneč were startled by a fire alarm. Mighty flames from the stalls of Knight Schlöchta's farmstead confirmed that the alarm was not a false one. Soon after, also seized the surrounding barns filled with harvested crops. Shortly, many fire brigades arrived. At midnight, two barns with supplies burnt to the ground and only walls survived. Stables and residential buildings were saved. A steam fire engine was contributing heartily to the efforts to put out the fire. The fire subsided after midnight, but had not been completely extinguished until 7 a.m. The damage amounted to 15,000 gold coins. 1896. Fire of Odkolek's Mills. On 29 January, after 12 o'clock midnight, a red flood could be seen in the dark sky above Malá Strana that bore testimony, far and wide, of a large fire. This unusual blaze caused great excitement in ball rooms and amusement venues. Dancers were leaving ball rooms and rushing towards the František embankment from where they could enjoy a get spectacular view of the opposite bank of the Vltava: Odkolek's mills were burning with bright flames. The fire had started in the wing leading towards the Vltava. A water mill was located there and behind it a steam one. On the second floor of the water mill, a machine used for cleaning grain was located and that was where the fire had started when a spark allegedly caused by the great rotation speed flew into flour dust. Short time after the fire started, a stream of sparks tumbled out and red flames shone into the building so that any attempts at putting the fire out were out of the question. The workers ran out and started to lead horses out of the stalls and take furniture outside. One whole wing of the mill building was in flames before a quarter of an hour passed. Sky-high flames flared from the tall building of which only mere walls could be seen. The windows were bursting, their frames burning, and inside rich supplies of grist and grain were burning with clear flames. Fire brigades were notified late, even though there was a telephone at the mill. So by the time a fire watch was crossing Charles Bridge on its way from the headquarters, a huge column of smoke was hurtling towards the sky and the red hue made it clear that the flames had already got through the roof. First news of the fire was conveyed to the fire brigade via phone from the street leading from the bridge to Malá Strana by a guard on duty on the bridge. Fire brigades from Prague as well as suburbs started their fight against the disastrous element with all their vigour. The first stage was hampered by insufficient pressure in the pipes, so after an initial attempt with a hydrant the pressure of which was for some inexplicable reason also insufficient, a four wheel fire engine had to be used to draw water. Later, three steam engines were gushing large amounts of water onto the burning building but it seemed that all efforts were fruitless. After each effort, new flames arose. At one point, it looked as though the joint efforts of the fire brigades would succeed at least in saving the building containing the machinery. At the same moment though, signals of firemen's trumpets announced that the second building, which was residential, was in great danger. It took a long time and a lot of stamina to confine the angry flames just to the mills. The side leading to the Vltava fell victim to the fire. The residential building standing right next to the mills was saved. Most furniture had been taken away but suffered great damage from water, the flats and office were spared. The insides of both mills were completely destroyed. It was a terrible sight for a spectator beholding the scenery of the misfortune. What had been spared by the fire, had suffered from the water which had prevented the furious element from reaching the residential building. Rooms and chambers, all were flooded by lots of water that froze on the floors and stairs so walking on them was really dangerous. Besides the above mentioned three fire engines, a telescopic ladder was used during the rescue operation. The damage caused by this fire amounted to some 300,000 gold coins. 1896. Fire of a Municipal Farmstead in Vysočany On 9 June, before 12 o'clock midnight, a fire of an unknown cause started in a barn at a farmstead in Vysočany owned by the Prague Municipality and rented to squire Mr. Frey of Freyenfels. Despite the great efforts of the firemen the fire spread. Prague firemen were notified as late as 2:18 in the morning so they did not take part in the fire-fighting operation. Substantial damage was incurred.